Monday, October 1, 2007

Visit to the Dentist


If you've ever wondered what it might look like when a horse has to go to the dentists, wonder no longer. Joe was losing weight and was obviously not feeling good. Leslie finally took him to the vet to see if he could figure out what was wrong. He determined that he needed to have his teeth floated (filed down to smooth) A horses teeth will develop sharp edges and start to rub the inside of there cheeks and tounge raw. Then they don't want to chew so they pretty much inhale whatever food they can get down whole so they get no nutritional value out of it. Here are a few more photo's .... Leslie was there to observe so she can do it herself next time.

This last photo I know looks like a trick that George the Giant performs but those are actually drain tubes. While he was there Joe also had to have a little growth removed from his chest. Pretty cool stuff I should have been a vet. Would have been fun and would have saved us some money on this particular day.

2 comments:

Dean and Maryellen said...

I love your blog. I have learned about old houses and now about sick horse. Very enlightening. Keep it up. I shall wait patiently for the next instalment.
mom

Jaime said...

It is a good thing I don't live on a farm. There is no way I could do that. Leslie is amazing!